Friday, December 4, 2015

My Mail

I has been more than 10 days since Mom passed away and her love, life, humor and, yes, absence, is felt more than ever.

Carrie and Olivia and I  have been home for a week or so, mostly just keeping busy.

One of my jobs was to finish my new office (a closet with a surface for a laptop), and to clean off my desk in the old office.

As I was sorting mail I found two cards. One is a Mother's Day card I bought for Mom last spring, at least a month before Mother's Day. I was so proud of myself, because I'm terrible at sending cards, and buying a card in advance was huge! Unfortunately, I never sent it. Too busy. Not the right time. I'll do it tomorrow, next week, as soon as I can.....

Then, just under that, I saw a card with Mom's handwriting. My birthday card. She sent it the day we left Seattle for Mexico. It was just a day or so before she called Dave and asked him for help.

The card was sitting on my desk while we were in Mexico, while we were in Salt Lake, while we have been home on Seattle. Her words to me were simple and sweet, supportive and loving, unaware that these were her last written words to me.

If you're reading this and your mom is still alive, PLEASE jot a note to her and tell her you love her. Your dad, too. There are few things in life that, given any circumstances, you will never regret.

This is one.

I Love You, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment